Thursday, May 31, 2012

This Is Who I Am and What I'm Doing: The Almost June 2012 Edition

It’s the last day of May. I won’t be sorry to see June. This has been a challenging month.

My father died.

If you’ve lost a member of your immediate family, I don’t have to explain, and if you haven’t, I can’t. So I’ll just say, again: May was a challenging month.

I didn’t exercise as much as I wanted. I didn’t eat right as often as I would have liked.

I’m giving myself a pass on those.

I didn’t write as much as I wanted. I didn’t make as much headway on my projects – scripting the comic, revising the novel – as I would have liked.

I’m giving myself a pass on those, too.

It wasn’t all bad. I did finish and revise my new short story, ‘The Dragon’s Tail’ – which I created in response to an open call for submissions – and sent it to the market. I’m proud of that.

And my son turned seven. I couldn’t be prouder of him, and he couldn’t make me any happier.

A story submitted, a wonderful son’s birthday… those are good ways to end a month. That’s what I’m going to focus on, as May turns to June. The new month will no doubt bring new challenges. Here’s hoping that they’re the fun kind.

No comments: