Tuesday, October 30, 2007

No Mo' NaNoWriMo, Yo!

Sorry, was that oblique?

("Oblique" is the "literary" term for something that "makes no sense.")

What I meant to say was, I won't be participating in National Novel Writing Month this year.

I thought about it, but it's not like my life is a whole lot saner than this time last year, when I boldly decided to NaNo, and barely scratched the 50,000-word target. Confidence-building exercises are only beneficial to the degree that one is successful enough at them to build one's confidence, I find.

And it's not like I'm short of ideas or need additional motivation to park my keister and write.

Right now, I've got the New Comics Project on the go - very exciting, the writing is moving forward nicely, and details will follow as the situation develops. I've also got the writer's group, with the New Screenplay I've been outlining. And then there's the Other Screenplay, which I finished a while ago, and need to circulate to some interested parties for feedback that will then need to be incorporated into a second draft.

I don't need the arbitrary structure of NaNoWriMo to get me writing - I am writing. I don't need it to jump-start my creativity. And, as nice as the built-in socializing is, and as much as that sort of thing does facilitate my writing, I have that already too - via the writer's group, and the "studio days" that I've been taking with my friend and former Xeno's Arrow co-creator, Greg.

NaNo is a great idea, and I wish nothing but fun, success and the total absence of writers block to everyone participating this year. But I'll be taking a pass. I'm too busy.

With, among other things, my writing.

No comments: