Wednesday, October 31, 2007

You Want My Honest Opinion, Huh?

Today, I spent some time getting down some thoughts about somebody else's writing.

In the writer's group that I'm part of, two members (there are five of us) get our work critiqued at each of our monthly meet-ups. Thursday, my screenplay outline is up at bat, and so is a chapter of Charles's novel. So today was all about organizing my thoughts about his work.

As I've mentioned before, this is my first writer's group, so I'm still finding my way to a degree - I have some comfort zone issues, not about being criticized, but about feeling free to criticize.

People who know me well are probably staring at their monitors right now, laughing uncontrollably. I have a bit of a reputation for being a downright bloodthirsty critic.

But here's the thing: that's among my nearest and dearest. I really do have comfort zone issues with critiquing. It's funny, but the better I know and the more I love someone, the more likely I am to hold nothing back when I respond to their work.

It's a trust issue, and it's something I have to work on, while making sure that I don't overcompensate in any direction. I need to strike a balance, one that respects Charles as a colleague who has requested my honest opinion, and myself as someone with an opinion that's worth expressing honestly, even if I'm sometimes a little reserved about doing so.

I'll post some thoughts about how writer's group went tomorrow, after I get home. Right now, it's later than I wanted to be up. My honest opinion: It's time for bed.

No comments: