Sunday, November 11, 2007

Still Can't Post! Still Writing!

I'm making good headway on Chapter 2 of the New Comics Project, but I hit a snag: A character we're introducing in this chapter was giving me some trouble. I was having a hard time pinning down her voice.

This is probably a good time to mention that some -- many -- of the characters in the Project existed previously, although in very different forms and iterations. Some were mine, and some were the Genius Artist's.

The character giving me trouble? She was one of his.

So we had a quick check-in about her, and I talked through my thoughts about the character. And we agreed on how to approach her. I feel more confident, now, about attacking the scene she debuts in.

When I told the artist that, his final comment, I think a slightly bemused one, was along the lines of, "Okay. But I didn't really say anything."

Sometimes, it really helps for me to put my thoughts in order, and get them outside my head, whether it's onto the page or into a friend's ear. Talking helps.

And, of course, not being told, "That's the dumbest idea I've ever heard, you talentless chump!" helps a bit too.

In related news, the Genius Artist is working on a three-page teaser, to preview the Project. So unless he hits a snag too, we will soon be able to give you a little taste of what the heck I've been going on about.

No comments: